Golden waffles sprinkled with powdered sugar or with a generous portion of whipped cream and fruits are, next to ice cream, the most summer-associated dessert. There is no holidays at the Polish seaside without eating a waffle from a street booth. That is why today I will share with you my recipe for homemade waffles. They can be prepared sweet, e.g. with jam, or savory, e.g. with egg.
I remind you of the most important rule when preparing waffles – do not open the waffle iron while baking! This will make the waffles soft instead of crispy.
The batter is prepared very simply, just like for pancakes. First, we beat the egg whites with sugar and add to the yolks, flour, baking powder, milk and sparkling water. Mix everything together and it’s ready.
To start baking, set the waffle maker to maximum power. Once it is hot, grease it with a thin layer of fat and put a portion of the batter on it. Then we close the waffle iron and wait about 4-5 minutes, without peeking. Every waffle maker is different, so keep in mind that we need to “feel out our waffle maker” first to know how long it takes to make perfectly baked waffles. You can do the first test round and look after about 4 minutes, even if the first waffles do not come out perfectly, the next ones will be perfect.
There are many benefits of making homemade waffles. Taking a waffle maker on vacation is a great idea to save some money, especially if you are going on holidays with kids 😉. Besides, homemade waffles are easy to make and they are not made from a ready-made mix where you don’t always know what’s in it.
I invite you to read the exact recipe and the video below.
Simple Waffles Recipe
- 2 eggs (whites and yolks separately)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar (optional)
- 300 g flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 1 tbsp oil (for greasing the waffle iron)
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and sugar to a stiff foam.2 eggs, 1 tbsp sugar, salt, 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Add milk, water, egg yolks and baking powder. Mix and add the beaten egg whites. Gently mix the egg whites into the rest of the batter.300 g flour, 1 cup milk, 1 cup sparkling water, 2 eggs
- Preheat your waffle iron to the maximum. Grease the waffle iron with oil, pour a portion of batter, close the waffle iron and bake for about 4-5min. Do not open the waffle iron during baking! You need to feel out how much you should bake the waffles because every waffle iron is different. Use a skewer stick to pull the finished waffles out and set aside on the griddle to cool. Waffles set aside on a plate may get wet from the steam and will not be crispy.1 tbsp oil
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet