An easy and simple recipe for a quick pasta dinner. Tortellini with zucchini and tomatoes is my favorite one-pot dish this summer. It’s a great idea for dinner for the whole family for $10 in 15 minutes!
You only need tomatoes, zucchini, onions and tortellini to make it.
You can put them in a lunchbox and take them with you to work.
For this recipe, you can use any tortellini, e.g. with meat, prosciutto or ricotta. You can use either fresh or dried tortellini.
Dried tortellini takes longer to cook (10-15 minutes), so if you choose dried pasta, I recommend frying the dish over low heat, covered, for about 7 minutes and then remove the lid so that the water can evaporate.
If you choose fresh tortellini (refrigerated) you do not need to cover the pan, pasta will be ready after 5-7 minutes. It is important that you stir the pasta from time to time so that it cooks evenly. The dish will be ready when the water in the pan evaporates.
When using dried tortellini, remember that it will double in volume during cooking, so add it to the recipe by half as much as fresh tortellini – 125g.
If you use ready-made broth, be careful with the amount of salt. It is best to add salt to the dish at the end of cooking, when the pasta has already absorbed the salt from the broth. Try the pasta and if it is not salty enough you can add more salt. Thanks to this, you won’t oversalt your dinner ;).
If you don’t like to chop onions, you can throw them into the chopper together with garlic, thanks to which you will definitely avoid tears 😉
Dry white wine adds acidity and makes zucchini not bland, but you can replace it with a little lemon juice or a few drops of balsamic vinegar. You can also add more tomatoes, which will give a little acid to the sauce.
If you want, at the end of frying, you can add a tablespoon of butter to the pasta to turn up the flavor.
The following proportions make about 4 lunch portions.
Read the step-by-step recipe on how to prepare Tortellini With Zucchini And Cherry Tomatoes and watch the video below the recipe.
Also subscribe to the SaltedPasta channel on YouTube and subscribe to the newsletter so you don’t miss a single recipe!
Tortellini with zucchini and cherry tomatoes
Tortellini Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small zucchini (200-250g)
- 100 g cherry tomatoes
- 250 g fresh tortellini (or 125g dried)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp lovage
- 1 tsp basil
- 500 ml hot broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine (or lemon juice)
- Chop the onion into a fine dice. Cut tomatoes in half. Cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters and then cut into slices 3-5mm thick. This will make zucchini 'triangles'. You can chop the garlic or use a garlic crusher.1 onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 small zucchini, 100 g cherry tomatoes
- Pour some olive oil into the hot pan. Then fry the chopped onion on it. When the onion is translucent, add the garlic. Then add spices, zucchini and white wine. Fry for 3-5 minutes. When the alcohol evaporates, add tomatoes, pasta and broth. Fry on high heat until the water evaporates (approx. 5-8 minutes). Stir occasionally so that the pasta cooks evenly. At the end of cooking, you can add salt and pepper. When the water evaporates and the pasta is al dente, the dish is ready.250 g fresh tortellini, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp lovage, 1 tsp basil, 500 ml hot broth, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp white wine, salt, pepper
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet