Wieners in puff pastry (also know as Pigs in Blankets) are a very popular and easy recipe for a quick snack. These little “French hot dogs” are a party hit. Perfect finger food or quick dinner. If you haven’t made them yet or don’t remember at what temperature to bake sausages in dough or whether to bake sausages in dough with a fan? Read the recipe below. And if you are bored with classic sausages in puff pastry, read how you can change the recipe for sausages in puff pastry.
To use the entire dough, you need approximately 6 sausages. You can, of course, use fewer sausages and make something else with the rest of the dough or wrap the sausages in a thicker layer of dough, e.g. instead of 1.5 sausages, wrap 1 sausage at a time and leave the dough at the ends.
How you can modify the recipe:
- You can wrap the sausages in slices of cheese before wrapping them in puff pastry. Thanks to this, you will get sausages in puff pastry with cheese.
- Before wrapping, you can also spread ketchup and/or mustard on the dough.
- You can also wrap the sausages with bacon slices and then wrap them in dough.
- You can put a portion of sauerkraut on the sausages and then wrap them in dough – sausages in dough with cabbage, YUM!
- And if not cabbage, how about pickles? For example, slices of Swedish or pickled cucumber – a classic addition to HOT DOGS.
- Or maybe something less obvious, i.e. fried onion – cut the onion into thin strips and fry in oil with a bit of salt, sugar and lemon juice, white wine or vinegar, e.g. balsamic. This onion with sausage is a real real treat!
- You can replace the wiener with other sausages, e.g. frankfurters (pepper sausages), veggie sausages, or other favorite sausages.
- You can also use cheese sticks or hard mozzarella cut into long pieces instead of sausages.
- You can brush the wrapped sausages with beaten egg to make the dough shiny after baking.
- You can sprinkle the top of the dough with cheese or sesame seeds before baking.
Can piggies in blankets be prepared in advance?
It is best to prepare sausages immediately before serving, but they are also delicious reheated.
How to reheat sausages in puff pastry?
You can reheat sausages in puff pastry in a microwave, air fryer or oven. Approximately 5 minutes at 180 °C is enough.
How to store sausages in puff pastry?
Store the baked sausages in the refrigerator overnight in a tight container or cover them with foil.
Sausages in puff pastry contain gluten.
The proportions given below will give approximately 12 portions of sausages in puff pastry.
Read the step-by-step recipe on how to prepare sausages in puff pastry and watch the video below the recipe.
Also subscribe to the SaltedPasta channel on YouTube and sign up for the newsletter so you don’t miss any recipes!
Pigs in blankets – Sausage rolls
Sausage Rolls Recipe
- 6 hot dogs sausages
- 1 pack puff pastry (regular or light)
- Unroll the puff pastry on a cutting board together with the paper. Unwrap the sausages from the foil. Place 1.5 sausage along the shorter side of the dough. Wrap the sausages in the dough. Cut off the wrapped sausages and cut them into 3 parts. Transfer the wrapped sausages to a baking tray lined with baking paper.6 hot dogs sausages, 1 pack puff pastry
- Repeat wrapping the sausages until you run out of ingredients. Bake the sausages in an oven preheated to 200 °C (392 °F) for approx. 15 minutes. Serve baked sausages with mustard and ketchup. Enjoy your meal!mustard, ketchup
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet