Racuchy drożdżowe or pampuchy are easy to make Polish yeast pancakes. This is a cheap and simple way to have an afternoon snack, breakfast, dessert or lunch. They taste great with jam, fruits, jelly, powdered sugar or Nutella. This is a recipe for yeast pancakes without apples. The dough is thick and instead of flat cakes we get thick and fluffy donuts without falling and shaping.
Yeast pancakes are a classic recipe for fried pancakes like polish donuts, which always turn out, do not come out hard and do not fall. You can put the dough in the fridge overnight, take the dough out in the morning (about 30 minutes before frying to let the dough warm up) and fry the pancakes for breakfast.
How to make simple fritters? You can go straight to the recipe below or if you want or are preparing these pancakes for the first time, read the answers to frequently asked questions and my tips below the recipe.
Pancakes are perfect for people on a vegetarian, flexitarian and pescatarian diet.
The proportions given below make 24 small pancakes or 12 large pancakes.
Read the step-by-step recipe on how to prepare Polish yeast pancakes and watch the video below the recipe.
Also subscribe to the SaltedPasta channel on YouTube and sign up for the newsletter so you don’t miss any recipes!
Polish Racuchy (yeast pancakes)
Recipe for Racuchy drożdżowe (Polish yeast pancakes)
- 25 g fresh yeast (or 7g dry yeast)
- 150 ml warm milk (not hot!)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 500 g flour
- 250 ml warm milk (not hot!)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- oil (for frying)
- Add yeast, sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour and 150 ml of lukewarm milk to the mixer bowl. Mix, cover with a cloth and leave to rise for 15 minutes.25 g fresh yeast, 150 ml warm milk, 2 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp sugar
- After 15 minutes, uncover the leaven. Add flour, egg, milk, sugar with vanilla, sugar and salt. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until smooth. Cover and set aside to rise for about 1 hour. After an hour, when the dough is well risen, you can start frying the pancakes.500 g flour, 250 ml warm milk, 1 egg, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp vanilla sugar, salt
- Heat a thick layer of oil (approx. 2 cm) in a deep frying pan. To check whether the fat is hot enough, throw a little dough onto it. If the dough begins to fry – bubbles appear and an intense sizzling sound is heard – the oil is properly heated. Place the dough with a spoon previously dipped in oil (from the frying pan), this will prevent the dough from sticking to the spoon. 1 pancake = 1 tablespoon of dough. Fry the pancakes over medium heat for about 3 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other. Place the fried golden fritters on a paper towel to remove excess fat. Serve with your favorite toppings.The pancakes fry for about 5-7 minutes, depending on how hot the oil is and how large the pancakes are. Thin fritters will fry faster than thick ones. If you are not sure whether the fritters are ready, fry them for a while so that they are not raw, but be careful not to burn them.I like to turn fritters in the pan with a wooden stick. By sticking a stick into the pancake you can check whether it is raw or fried inside. If the stick removed from the pancake is dry, the pancakes are ready, if it's wet and sticky, the pancakes are still raw.oil
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Is egg added to yeast pancakes?
I add 1 whole egg to the fritters.
Why do pancakes drink oil?
If the fritters drink too much fat, it probably means that the oil is not hot enough. If, despite the hot oil, you think that the pancakes are too full of fat, you can use the trick that my grandmother uses while making donuts, i.e. add a shot glass of spirit to the dough (before kneading). Thanks to it, the protein present in the dough sets faster and the dough does not absorb as much fat. Others use acid – vinegar instead of spirit, but be careful not to make your pancakes sour.
How to make the pancakes fluffy?
To make the racuchy fluffy, you need to knead the dough well and let it rise. Place the dough onto the pan gently using a spoon, without crushing it.
What should the dough for pancakes be like?
The dough from this recipe is very thick and fluffy, and the pancakes turn out like polish pączki 🙂
Is butter added to fritters?
The fritters are deep-fried, so we do not add butter or any other fat to the dough.
What products are needed for pancakes?
All you need to prepare fritters is: flour, milk, yeast, egg, sugar, a pinch of salt and oil for frying.
Why the dough doesn’t rise?
If the leaven hasn’t risen a bit within 15 minutes, there’s probably something wrong with the yeast. Another reason for the dough not rising is too low temperature.
What to do to make sure the dough rises?
Remove the yeast from the refrigerator in advance to let it reach room temperature. Use lukewarm milk. Remove the egg from the refrigerator in advance and wash it with warm water. Provide yeast appropriate temperature for rising, e.g. place the bowl with the dough next to the radiator.
What is the best flour for pancakes?
I use all purpose flour – wheat flour type 405-550.