Granny’s traditional recipe for pierogi with cabbage and mushrooms. These dumplings are most associated with Christmas and Christmas Eve, but they also taste great on every other day.
The dumpling dough is made of only three ingredients: no oil, no butter, no eggs – only water, flour and salt. Such dough, kneaded for a few minutes, is soft and elastic. It is important not to sprinkle the dough with a too much flour when rolling it. If a lot of flour sticks to the dough, it will be harder and the dumplings will not stick together well, and they will open during cooking. Dumplings must not be covered with flour. Excess flour should be shaken off the dumplings before throwing them into boiling water.
How to prepare the stuffing for dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms?
- Chop the onion, sauerkraut and mushrooms into small pieces and fry,
- Don’t wash the sauerkraut,
- Do not add water to the stuffing,
- At the end of frying, add butter to the stuffing,
- You can prepare the stuffing the day before,
- Fry the stuffing in a deep frying pan or wide pot,
- Use sauerkraut without preservatives, without ascorbic acid and without vinegar. The sauerkraut should contain only cabbage and salt (and carrot eventualy).
What spices should be used for dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms?
Season the stuffing for dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms with salt, pepper, bay leaves, allspice and caraway seed. You can use caraway seeds and allspice powder or whole grains.
What mushrooms to choose for dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms?
You can use dried, frozen or fresh mushrooms to stuff dumplings. Mushrooms such as champignons, boletes go well with sauerkraut. You can use a mixture of mushrooms or use, for example, only dried or only fresh mushrooms. Dried mushrooms have much more flavor, while fresh ones are a very good “filler” that improves the consistency of the stuffing.
How long should you soak dried mushrooms?
Pour boiling water over dried mushrooms and soak for 15-20 minutes. Then pour out the water. You can pour cold water over the soaked mushrooms to cool them down faster (before cutting) or set them aside and wait until they cool down on their own.
How to make dumplings?
There are many ways to glue dumplings, I will show you the simplest way. The gluing area cannot be too thick because the dough will not cook and will be raw. The dough cannot be covered with flour because it makes it difficult for the dough to stick together.
Fold the dumpling in half and use your thumb and middle or index finger to glue the edges of the dumpling from one end to the other and back again. Below you will find a video on how to easily glue dumplings.
How many dumplings from 1 kg of cabbage?
To prepare about 100 dumplings, I prepare the stuffing with 0.5 kg of cabbage and 0.5 kg of mushrooms. Remember that mushrooms have a lot of water in them, so after frying them there will be much less stuffing. If you want, you can add fewer mushrooms to the stuffing. You can change the proportions of mushrooms to cabbage according to your own preferences.
1 kg of cabbage yields approximately 200 dumplings.
How to serve dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms?
It is best to fry the cooked dumplings briefly in butter or oil, this will prevent them from sticking together. You can also prepare a garnish of onion or bacon. Dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms do not need any additional sauce.
How to reheat dumplings?
Cooked dumplings can be reheated in the microwave or fried in a pan with a little oil or butter. A good way to reheat dumplings is to pour a few tablespoons of water into the pan, add a teaspoon of butter or oil, add the dumplings and cover. Fry the dumplings over medium heat and after 2-3 minutes, turn over and fry for another 2 minutes. The water should evaporate and the butter should stick to the dumplings. The dumplings reheated this way will be soft and buttery :).
How to store dumplings?
Cooked dumplings should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator (preferably greased with oil to prevent them from sticking together) for about 2-3 days or frozen.
How to freeze dumplings?
Dumplings can be frozen cooked or raw. Place the raw dumplings on a tray in a freezing bag. Put it in the freezer for several minutes. Once the dumplings are frozen, you can put them together in a container or bag and freeze another batch. Dumplings frozen this way should no longer stick together.
If you want to freeze cooked dumplings, brush them with oil, wait until they cool down and freeze. It is best to freeze in batches (as above), you can put the pre-frozen dumplings together in one container or freezer bag.
Dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms are perfect for people on a vegan, vegetarian, flexitarian and pescatarian diet.
The proportions given below make approximately 105 medium-sized dumplings.
Read the step-by-step recipe on how to prepare dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms and watch the video below the recipe.
Also subscribe to the SaltedPasta channel on YouTube and sign up for the newsletter so you don’t miss any recipes!
Pierogi with Cabbage and Mushrooms
Polish Pierogi Recipe
- 500 g flour
- 350 ml water (hot)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- Mix flour, hot water and salt together. It's best to use a robot so as not to burn your hands. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes. This will make the dough elastic and not sticky. Form a ball from the prepared dough, cover and set aside for 15 minutes to rest.500 g flour, 350 ml water, 2 tsp salt
- Cut the onion into small cubes. Pour boiling water over the dried mushrooms and set aside for 15 minutes. After this time, pour out the water and when the mushrooms cool down, chop them finely. Chop the sauerkraut into smaller pieces. Peel the champignons and chop finely.500 g sauerkraut, 500 g champignons, 30 g dried mushrooms, 1 onion
- Fry the onion with some oil. When the onion is translucent, add chopped champignons. Fry the champignons for a few minutes and when most of the water has evaporated and their volume has significantly reduced, add the cabbage, mushrooms and spices. Fry the stuffing until the cabbage turns brown. Stir from time to time to avoid burning the filling. At the end, add butter. Set the finished stuffing aside to cool.½ tsp caraway seeds, salt, pepper, 1 tbsp butter, 3 bay leaves, 6 grains allspice
Making the dumplings
- Lightly sprinkle the counter with flour. Roll out the rested dough as thinly as possible. Cut out circles from the dough, e.g. with a glass (I cut out with a cookie ring with a diameter of 7 cm). Put about 1 teaspoon of stuffing in the center of each circle. Fold the circle in half and pinch the edges twice to make sure. Check out how to do it in the video below. Remember not to use too much flour as the dough may not stick together. If the dumplings are not "glued" good enough water will get inside during cooking and the dumplings will open.
- Put the prepared dumplings into salted boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes after the dumplings float to the surface. Cooked dumplings can be eaten straight away or fried with onion.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet