This is a recipe for polish pickles whitch are actualy fermented. We do not use vinegar in this recipe. These are healthier than regular pickles. And don’t worry they are not rooten or moldy. Let me tell you about Polish Pickles.
Pickled cucumbers are a natural probiotic. They contain lactic acid, which regulates the bacterial flora in our intestines. In addition, they contain large amounts of vitamins. I remember in high school the biology lady said that if we want to be beautiful and young, we must eat 1 pickled cucumber every day because it contains a lot of vitamin C, which is necessary for the synthesis of collagen in the skin.
I love sour, well pickled cucumbers. In my opinion, they are much better than low salt pickles (another polish tradition) . They taste great on a sandwich, but they are best eaten whole straight from the jar. I present to you my grandmother’s recipe. The secret everyone forgets? Soak cucumbers for several hours before pickling to make them firm and crispy.
Below you will find the proportions you need to prepare a 1 liter jar of cucumbers so that you can easily adapt the recipe to your needs. Choose small cucumbers, the smaller they are, the crunchier they will be and they will certainly not be empty inside.
If you prefer low-salt pickles, you can prepare them using the same recipe, just eat them within 2-7 days 😉
Remember that the jars and caps should be scalded, and if you use wek-type jars (with a rubber band), remember to wash the rubber bands only in warm water, do not scald them because they can be damaged. You can also pickle cucumbers in a clay pot and cover the cucumbers with a plate loaded with a stone so as to cut off the air supply. Some also pickle in plastic cans, but I’m afraid of the reaction of plastic with acid from cucumbers, which is why I’ve never pickled in plastic.
If you eat cucumbers, do not get rid of the juice from the jar, it is a fantastic addition to cucumber soup.
Instead of grape leaves, you can use cherry, currant or oak leaves, but at my house we always added grape leaves. You can buy ready-made pickling kits in stores (at least in Poland) but if you pickle a lot of cucumbers, it’s better to buy everything separately – it will definitely be cheaper. You can also buy spice blend for pickling cucumbers but I prefer to use fresh garlic, horseradish and dill, but if you can’t get them, you can try this spice mix, or maybe someone used it? Let me know how it works!
Polish Pickled Cucumbers
Homemade Pickled Cucumbers Recipe
- 1 l hot water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 12 medium cucumbers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 slices horseradish (about 5mm thick)
- 2 leaves grape
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ⅓ bunch dill
- 400 ml brine
- Wash and soak cucumbers in cold water for a few hours, this will make them firm and crunchy.
- Slice the horseradish root, cut the garlic in half (without peeling it), slice the dill or divide the bunch into pieces and bend it to fit into the jar.
- Prepare the brine. In 1 liter of hot water dissolve 1 heaping tablespoon of salt.1 l hot water, 1 tbsp salt
- Put horseradish, garlic, grape leaves, mustard seeds, dill and 10-12 cucumbers into a scalded jar. Pour the hot brine, cap the jar and set aside in a warm, dark place for 2-3 weeks. After this time I put the jars in the refrigerator, but you can also move them to the cellar or other cool, dark place.12 medium cucumbers, 2 cloves garlic, 4 slices horseradish, 2 leaves grape, 1 tsp mustard seeds, ⅓ bunch dill, 400 ml brine
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet