The best recipe for quick herring in cream with onion, apple and dill. Are you wondering how to make herring in cream perfect for potatoes? This is the perfect recipe for a quick dinner or Christmas Eve dish. If you like herring then you should try it, here the flavor of the fish combines with the sweetness of the apple and the delicate texture of the cream. I usually make this as a side dish for dinner but it is also a traditional Christmas Eve dish in my house.
What kind of herring for herrings in cream?
For these recipes I use jarred country herrings. They differ from herring a’la matias (in oil) with the addition of sugar and vinegar. They are also less salty.
What cream should be added to cream herring?
Add sour cream 18% to the herring.
How to prepare onion for herring in cream?
Cut the onion into slices, rub it with sugar and then pour hot water over it. Drain the brewed onion after about 3 minutes. This will make the onion soften and have a milder flavor.
What herbs to use with herring in cream?
Fresh dill goes best with herring in cream.
How long can you keep herring in cream for?
Are you wondering how many days before Christmas you can prepare creamed herring? You can prepare herring in cream on the same day or the day before. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Herring in cream is perfect for people on a vegetarian, flexitarian and pescatarian diet.
The proportions given below make approximately 800 g of herring in cream.
Read the step-by-step recipe on how to prepare herring in cream and watch the video below the recipe. Also subscribe to the SaltedPasta channel on YouTube and sign up for the newsletter so you don’t miss any recipes!
Herring in sour cream
Recipe for herring in sour cream
- 1 onion
- 300 g herring fillets from the jar
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200 g sour cream 18%
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Chop a large onion. Add a tsp. of sugar, then mix well. Then pour boiling water to the onion (this trick will make it more delicate and easy to digest). Drain the onions after a minute.1 onion, 1 tsp sugar
- Peel and grate the apple.1 apple
- Cut herring fillets into small pieces.300 g herring fillets
- Mix sour cream and mayonnaise in a bowl. Add herring, apple and onion. Season with pepper, salt and fresh dill. Mix all the ingredients and voilà.200 g sour cream 18%, 1 tbsp mayonnaise, pepper, salt, dill
- Serve with potatoes or bread.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet