Delicious French onion soup that is perfect for any occasion. Prepared with beef broth and long-fried onion. A simple recipe that has one secret that makes it unique.
The secret is patience – there are no shortcuts here. This characteristic deep and sweet flavor can only be obtained by frying the onion in a pan for a long time. This operation takes up to 50 minutes for the onion and the sugar contained in it to caramelize well.
The soup does not need to be thickened, it does not need cream or flour. If you want a thick soup, you can blend all or part of the soup. You will then get a thicker soup or creamy soup.
What spices to use for onion soup?
To season the onion soup, all you need is thyme, bay leaves, allspice, pepper and salt. The most important thing is to fry and caramelize the onion thoroughly.
What wine goes with onion soup?
Caramelized onions are very sweet. To make the soup not bland but flavorfull, add dry white wine to it.
What to add to onion soup instead of wine?
If you do not want to add wine to the soup, you can acidify it with lemon juice, wine vinegar or apple vinegar.
Is this soup suitable for children?
If you want to serve this soup to children then there is no concern. During frying the alcohol will evaporate. Addition of wine gives soup the slightly sour rich flavour.
What cheese goes with onion soup?
Gruyère cheese goes best with onion soup but you can replace it with cheeses such as cheddar, emmentaler, comté, raclette, parmesan or grana padano.
How to bake cheese with onion soup?
For baking, use only dishes that are suitable for the oven. Large cocktail pans, cast iron pans or other heatproof dishes will work best. Pour the hot soup into heat-resistant bowls. Place croutons on the soup (toasted or fried slices of baguette, ciabatta or other roll) and sprinkle the crouton with grated cheese. Place the prepared soup portions (do not cover the dishes!) in an oven preheated to 200 °C (392 °F) and bake for 5 minutes using the grill function. Soups baked this way are ready to be served.
How to prepare keto onion soup?
If you want to eat the keto version of this soup, just bake the soup without croutons only cheese. This will significantly reduce the amount of carbohydrates in the dish. Just sprinkle the soup with grated cheese and put it in the oven.
Why is onion soup bitter?
Onions need to be fried in a pan for a long time – but it is important not to burn them. If you burn the onions then the soup will be bitter. Remember to fry the onions over low heat, stirring the pan from time to time.
Onion soup is perfect for people on a vegetarian, flexitarian and pescatarian diet. Croutons contain gluten.
If you want to prepare a vegan version of onion soup, cook it with vegetable broth. You can replace Gruyère cheese with walnut or soy cheese.
The proportions given below make approximately 4 servings of soup.
Read the step-by-step recipe on how to prepare French onion soup and watch the video below the recipe.
Also subscribe to the SaltedPasta channel on YouTube and sign up for the newsletter so you don’t miss any recipes!
French onion soup
Recipe for French Onion Soup
- 1 kg onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 l beef broth
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 grains allspice
- 1 baguette
- 140 g Gruyère cheese or other hard cheese
- Peel the onions and slice them into feathers.1 kg onions
- Pour oil in a frying pan, add onions and salt. Fry over low heat, stirring from time to time. Add bay leaves and allspice.2 tbsp oil, 1 pinch salt, 3 bay leaves, 4 grains allspice
- At the end of frying (after about 50 minutes), when the onions caramelize (they will be a deep brown color), add thyme and chopped garlic. After a while, add wine. When the alcohol evaporates put the onions in the pot.2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp thyme, 100 ml dry white wine
- Add broth and pepper, then boil the soup and add butter to it.1 l beef broth, 1 pinch pepper, 25 g unsalted butter
- Pour a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry the sliced baguettes. Pour the soup into bowls, put the baguettes on top of the soup. Grate the cheese and place it on the baguette. You can additionally sprinkle the top with thyme. Place it in a preheated oven for 5 minutes at 390 °F1 baguette, 140 g Gruyère cheese
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet