Simple shortbread cookies with cranberries and pistachios. No eggs and no baking powder. They are really easy and quick to prepare (you just need to chill them for a few hours 😜). Are you looking for a recipe for Christmas cookies that are not gingerbread? Unique cookies that you haven’t eaten yet and won’t buy in the supermarket? These cookies are perfect as a gift. Just wrap them nicely and give someone these shortbread cookies as a Christmas gift.
How to make simple cookies?
To make simple cookies, you only need 3 ingredients: flour, sugar and butter (and salt 😜) the rest are additives, here I added cranberries, pistachios and lemon zest. The dough is very fragile, so be careful when cutting. If the cookies crumble, you can always glue them together. If you think the dough is too crumbly, you can add more butter or less flour.
These cookies are great! You can’t buy these in a store.
Cookies require cooling before baking, so it is worth preparing the dough even a few days in advance. If you don’t have time, put the dough in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Thanks to cooling, the dough will maintain its shape and the cookies will be crispy.
Cookies that can be prepared in advance?
You can prepare the dough in advance and keep it in the fridge for a rainy day.
Raw dough wrapped in foil can be kept in the refrigerator for several days. Baked cookies stay crispy for several days, but they always disappear quickly. If you want to bake them in advance, store the previously cooled cookies in an airtight container.
What to make cookies with?
You can add your favorite additions to them, you can replace the cranberries with any dried fruit, e.g. raisins or apricots, or omit them. You can also use any nuts, e.g. almonds or walnuts. You can replace the lemon zest with orange or lime zest, or buy sugar with lemon zest. It is available in discount stores, look for it next to sugar with vanilla 😜. If you don’t like citrus flavour in baked goods, you can replace it with, for example, vanilla sugar or skip flavoring the cookies altogether.
How long to bake cookies for?
Bake the cookies at 160 °C (320 °F) for approx. 20 minutes. The baked cookies will be soft and pale, but will harden as they cool. After removing the cookies from the refrigerator, cut them immediately and place them in the preheated oven. Thanks to the fact that the cookie dough is well cooled, the cookies will come out crispy.
How to decorate cookies?
The cookies are delicious on their own, but if you want, you can cover them with icing, white or dark chocolate. To make the cookies look spectacular, dip half of the cookie in chocolate and place it on baking paper to let the chocolate harden. These cookies will look great on a table or in a cellophane bag if you want to give them to someone.
Shortcrust cookies with cranberries and pistachios are perfect for people on a vegetarian, flexitarian and pescatarian diet. Cookies contain gluten.
The proportions given below make approximately 15 large cookies.
Read the step-by-step recipe on how to prepare shortbread cookies and watch the video below the recipe.
Also subscribe to the SaltedPasta channel on YouTube and sign up for the newsletter so you don’t miss any recipes!
Cranberry and pistachio shortbread cookies
Cranberry and Pistachio Cookies Recipe
- 200 g butter (soft)
- 100 g sugar
- 300 g flour
- ¾ cup pistachios (salted or unsalted)
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp sugar with lemon zest (or freshly grated lemon zest)
- Chop pistachios and cranberries.¾ cup pistachios, ¾ cup dried cranberries
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly. If you used unsalted pistachios add more salt. The dough will crumble. Put the dough on the countertop and form it into a roll.200 g butter, 100 g sugar, 300 g flour, 1 tbsp sugar with lemon zest, salt
- Wrap the dough in cling film like candy. So that it is tightly squeezedin foil. Then put it in the refrigerator for at least 4 h.
- Take the cooled dough out of the refrigerator, unwrap from the foil and cut into slices about 1 cm (0.4 inch) thick. Place the slices on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the cookies in an oven preheated to 160 °C (320 °F) and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove the baked cookies from the oven and wait for them to cool and harden.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet