Chicken Kiev is a dish that has become synonymous with Polish weddings and celebrations, and for good reason. Juicy chicken wrapped in a crispy breading is a combination that is hard to resist. Golden butter, flowing out after cutting, is the magic that everyone is waiting for.
Despite being a staple at any special occasion, Chicken Kiev is a dish that everyone should experience at least once, if not for the mouth-watering combination of flavors then for the aesthetic appeal of melted butter pouring out of the dish.
Surprisingly, it is quite simple to prepare de volaille, just remember a few key details, such as well-chilled butter and thinly pounded meat, particularly at the point of gluing. Fried in clarified butter or oil, a de volaille cutlet is an ideal choice for Sunday dinner, satisfying the cravings of even the most discerning taste buds. So, if you haven’t had the opportunity to make a cutlet de volaille yet, you must make up for it!
Chicken Kiev Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp dried garlic
- 60 g cold butter (2 times 30g)
- 2 eggs
- oil (or clarified butter for frying)
Mashed potato with onions
- 450 g potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100 ml milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- Cut the chicken breast lengthwise and unfold it (check how to do it in the video below). Lay the chicken breast between 2 pieces of foil, this will keep the chicken from sticking to the chopping board, meat mallet won't break the meat and you won't have to clean the kitchen. Smash the chicken as thinly as possible without breaking the meat, especially on the edge where it will stick togeher at the end. Then season with salt, pepper and dried garlic. Put a piece of butter and wrap it like in the video. Wrap it in foil like a candy to keep it in shape, you can put it in the fridge for 30 minutes, but you don't have to, if the cutlet was well patted it will keep its shape without any problems.2 chicken breasts, pepper, salt, 2 tsp dried garlic, 60 g cold butter
- Coat the cutlets by dipping them first in the flour, then in the beaten egg, again in the flour, in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs. Chicken must be well covered with breadcrumbs so that the butter does not flow out. Deep fry the breaded cutlets for 15 minutes over medium heat. Put the fried chicken on paper to get rid of excess fat.2 eggs, flour, breadcrumbs, oil
Mashed potato with onions
- Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water until soft. Dice the onion and fry in the oil until soft and golden. Add butter, milk and fried onion to the boiled and drained potatoes, then mash the potatoes to a puree and it's ready.450 g potatoes, 1 onion, 1 tbsp butter, 100 ml milk, 2 tbsp oil, salt
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
This is what de volaille looks like with flowing butter: